LESSON OBJECTIVES AND OUTLINE FOR TEACHERS
I. LESSON OBJECTIVES
- Measure and combine ingredients.
- Use a food processor.
- Skillfully swirl crepe batter around a pan to fill it in.
- Recognize when the crepe is ready to come off the pan.
- Skillfully remove it from the pan and stack.
- Fold the crepe around the filling.
- Fry the blintzes.
holiday of Shavuot by completing the final Sample Test.
II. KITCHEN ORGANIZATION AND TECHNIQUES
III. FOOD FOR THOUGHT
A. Why are cheese and other dairy dishes eaten on Shavuot?
MATERIALS LIST FOR CHEESE BLINTZES
- 1 dozen extra-large eggs
- 1 qt. milk
- 1/2 c. oil
- 2 c. flour
- 2 lbs. ricotta cheese
- 1 c. sugar
- butter for frying
- non-stick spray
- I pt. sour cream
- 6" skillets
- large dairy frying pans or foil trays for baking
- food processor
- plastic buckets
- crepe ladle
- waxed paper sheets
- large spoons
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- brush for butter (optional)
FOR THE STUDENTS:
“It is very traditional for Ashkenazic Jews to eat dairy blintzes on Shavuot. Not only are they filled with the customary cheese, but two of them, placed next to each other, look like the two tablets of the Ten Commandments that were given to Moses on Mount Sinai.”5
CREPE RECIPE—GROUP 1
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/3 c. milk
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2-1/2 T. oil
- 1 c. flour
1. Put all ingredients into bowl of food processor and process for about 15 seconds.
2. Let stand for 30 minutes before frying.
FILLING RECIPE—GROUP 2
- 4 lbs. ricotta cheese
- 6 T. sugar
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 2 t. vanilla
- 1 t. cinnamon
1. Stir above ingredients together thoroughly.
MAKING THE CREPES—GROUP 1
1. Spray 6 or 7-inch skillets with non-stick spray lightly.
2. Heat until a drop of water froths but does not jump or sizzle.
3. Pour in just enough batter to cover the bottom of the pan.
4. Quickly tip and rotate the pan so the batter covers the bottom.
5. When the crepe looks dry around the edges and begins to curl from the pan, invert the pan over a sheet of waxed paper.
6. Stack the crepes in this way until you are ready to fill.
FILLING THE CREPES—GROUP 2
FRYING THE CREPES—GROUP 1
1. Melt a pat of butter in a large frying pan on moderate heat.
2. When it just begins to sizzle, put in filled blintzes seam side down and fry until golden brown at the edges.
3. Serve warm with sour cream. Makes approximately 25.
5Text from Gloria Kaufer Greene, The Jewish Holiday Cookbook: An International Collection of Recipes and Customs (Published in the United States by Times Books, a division of Random House, Inc., New York, and simultaneously in Canada by Random House of Canada Limited, Toronto, 1985), p. 358.
6Helen Nash, Kosher Cusine, Illustrations by Pat Stewart, (Random House, New York, New York and simultaneously in Canada by Random House of Canada Limited, Toronto. 1984), p. 305.